Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Refresher Part 4


      I found myself in intensive outpatient therapy and going to approximately 5 AA meetings a week. Happily, I connected both with my therapist and my group; the only problem was that I couldn’t or wouldn’t dedicate myself to the 12 step meetings. I supposed my justification was that I already committed myself to four days a week and four hours a day to my therapy and reasoned this was enough and no meetings were really necessary.

      So each time we made some progress I would get drunk and undo our work. It was during this time that I met Eric. So at the very least I can say was single, in therapy and on medication before I became involved in a relationship. And there was something different about Eric and me from the very start. First, I didn’t fall in love at first sight with Eric as I did with every other relationship before this one. As a matter of fact I told Eric that I would never fall in love again because my heart belonged to someone else. That would have been David, my Pittsburgh love affair with a boy nine years younger than me. A relationship that lasted all of 5 months but was so sick it’s a wonder I’m alive considering how much I drank during and after that affair ended and David would show up at my door all hours of the night and I being so weak would let him in. I still can’t believe that was me who acted in such an irresponsible manner…but it was.

(to be continued)
                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to be as open, honest, blunt, and real as think you need to when leaving your comment. any of you who can relate to any one of my issues or takes offense to something I've written I'd especially like to hear from. I'm sorry to say that any comments left anonymously will not be published whether positive or negative. however, i still appreciate the insight and value the opinion. Thanks, L.A.M.B.