Thursday, March 31, 2011
Let’s see, where did leave I off? Oh yes I remember, my daily skin care regiment. Well, I’ve already given you the meat and potatoes so I will now share with you the sides, desserts and appetizers.
· I am a mouth breather so my lips are CONSTANTLY chapped. I use Blistex lip moisture in a tube.
· I also have very dry sky and I use Malibu Hemp Skin Firming Bronzing Moisturizer or Jergens natural Glow Firming Moisturizer from my shoulders to my toes.
· I use L’Oreal Lash Serum once at night to lengthen and thicken my eyelashes. This stuff is worth 3 times the 12.95 price. It will actually grow new lashes where you have lost them!
· Always keep your skin moisturized, it’s healthy for your skin and gives you and your attendant a chance to look over your body for any signs of breakdown. Use YOUR favorite moisturizer.
· Since my hands are paralyzed, my finger joints are contracted and my hands curled I wear my nails fairly long. My attendants keep them polished and filed for me. (thanks Michelle and Kristi!) I also use my fingernails as tools when trying to open things ect.
· TIP – I HONESTLY BELIEVE that the foundation to ANY skin type routine is good exfoliation.
No matter what skin type you have, I suggest St. Ive’s Apricot Scrub as your basic skin care exfoliant. If you have problem skin you need to get a product called Serious Skin Care for problem skin. You can order it on line at HSN.com. If you have normal or combination skin I would suggest a product containing Retinol. Such as ROC.
Be certain to always do your pressure releases in your wheelchair as well as in bed. Tilt your chair back whenever you have the chance and if you are strong enough, lift your bottom off the chair several times a day. If you are male be sure you are never sitting on your testicles. This could cause autonomic dysreflexia and be very dangerous. Shift position as often as you are able and be mindful of your fellows.
The rule of thumb is to check your body for any signs of pressure sores twice a day in bed when you are naked but I think once a day is enough. The decision is ultimately yours.