Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Story Chapter One

Easter fell in March in 2005 and it was an early morning on the Saturday before when I was driving to the medical clinic to have an emergency check up on a persistent case of pneumonia. Suddenly, I started to cough uncontrollably. The car only swerved a little but I began to hydroplane on a patch of wet leaves along the edge of the same old road and the car began to spin out of control.

The next thing I knew I had driven up over an embankment backwards and hit a small tree from behind. I was thrown so violently against the back seat, my head hit first and my chin was jammed downward into my chest. Little did I know my spinal cord snapped in two and most of the vertebrae in my neck were crushed.

It seemed liked forever before help arrived. I remember trying desperately to move my arms... it was as if they were buried in cement. I knew right away I had used up all the free chances God had given me throughout my life and felt the familiar presence of  my guardian angel fleeing from my side. I tried to move my legs… not even a flinch. A fleeting thought kept me from full-fledged panic. Maybe they were trapped under the dash or some other part of the totaled car.

It must have been shock that kept me from going insane with fear as I waited endlessly for someone…anyone to come to my rescue. Finally, I remember a man putting a coat over me because I was cold from the chill still blowing in the late March wind and a big blue tarp because he said they had to cut me out of wrecked G. rand Am. I remember the helicopter coming from a distance and I remember the police officer telling me if I had worn my seat belt I’d be dead and thinking well that would have been better. But then the nice paramedics must have given some sleepy time drugs because I don't remember anything else until ...

                                                     
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to be as open, honest, blunt, and real as think you need to when leaving your comment. any of you who can relate to any one of my issues or takes offense to something I've written I'd especially like to hear from. I'm sorry to say that any comments left anonymously will not be published whether positive or negative. however, i still appreciate the insight and value the opinion. Thanks, L.A.M.B.